Telangana Police on Saturday arrested the third accused in connection with the alleged gang rape of a teenage girl in Hyderabad’s Jubilee Hills last week.
“In continuation of arrest of accused Saduddin Malik, 2 children in Conflict with Law were apprehended by Jubilee Hills police today; being produced before Juvenile Court for their custody,” police said.
The second accused, a minor, was detained earlier in the day by the police. Police verified that he is the son of a VIP, but refused to release the latter’s name since doing so would reveal the juvenile’s identity, which would be against the law.
Police were unable to arrest the minor on Friday. Police had clarified that rules didn’t permit them to apprehend him during night hours.
Here are the key updates in the sensational gang rape case-
* Three out of five accused have been apprehended so far in the case.
* One accused, identified as Saduddin Malik, was arrested yesterday and the second accused who is a juvenile was held earlier today.
* Deputy Commissioner of Police Joel Davis told reporters on Friday night that five accused including two juveniles aged 16-17 have been identified.
* One of the major accused Saduddin Malik (18) was arrested on Friday while the police teams were searching for Omair Khan (18) and two other juveniles.
* Telangana BJP chief Bandi Sanjay has written to CM K Chandrashekar Rao demanding to hand over the case to CBI to probe into the gang rape of a minor girl and arrest all accused involved.
* Telangana Home Minister Mohammed Mahmood Ali on Saturday said that no leniency is being adopted in the Hyderabad gang-rape case while also clarifying that the state police department works without pressure and does not spare the culprits.
* Since the accused were not known to the victim and the crime was reported three days later, the accused escaped to other places.
* Various police teams were searching for the accused in other places in Telangana and in neighbouring states.
* The DCP exuded confidence that police would arrest all the accused within 48 hours.
* The police official refused to reveal the location where the offence took place saying this would reveal the identity of the victim.